December 1, 2022
People around you may be resolving to lose 10 pounds, exercise more, and eat healthier, but for Alzheimer’s caregivers, perhaps just getting through the day is ambitious enough. The very thought of aiming to improve upon any area of your life in this unsettling time may be overwhelming.
At Continuum, a provider of Town and Country care services and home care throughout the surrounding area, we want to offer you some encouragement. We understand the work you’re doing is often both frustrating and rewarding, and we are here to support you in any way we can. To start, we have compiled some resolutions exclusively for Alzheimer’s caregivers that can actually help make your journey a little easier.
What Resolutions Are Good for Alzheimer’s Caregivers?
Take a deep breath and a few minutes to consider the following:
- Set aside time for self-care. We understand; this might be easier said than done. But taking time for yourself is very important to both your well-being and that of the individual you’re caring for. It doesn’t need to be anything complicated or extensive, unless you would like it to be. Merely carving out an hour or two once a week for an activity you like can offer the rejuvenation you need. A dependable family member or friend can fill in while you are away, or contact Continuum for a skilled, experienced caregiver to help.
- Forgive yourself. Accept that you’re human, and there will be times you wish you had handled a situation differently. Determine that this will be the year that you thoroughly rid yourself of any guilt, and in exchange remind yourself that you are doing the very best you can to make life better for the person you love.
- Remind yourself that you know what is best. Family caregivers can find themselves in the middle of well-intentioned people who wish to offer advice. While their ideas may work effectively for other people, they might not be appropriate in your situation. Listen respectfully to any advice offered and thank the person for the idea, but, ultimately, trust your judgment in making the most effective care decisions for your circumstances.
For a trusted partner in Alzheimer’s care, or for some additional helpful resources, contact Continuum’s experts in Town and Country care services and care throughout the surrounding areas any time for help. We’ll be pleased to visit with you in your home at no charge to discuss the challenges you are facing and to offer creative strategies to help, including:
- Planning and preparing meals based on individual preferences
- Assistance with aggression, wandering, agitation, sundowning, repetitive behaviors, and more
- Support as needed with personal hygiene tasks while encouraging independence
- Providing engaging activities and conversations to keep both the body and mind active
- Transportation and accompaniment to outings and appointments
- And much more
Call us at (314) 863-9912 or (636) 861-3336 for more information about our professional Alzheimer’s caregivers.