December 11, 2018
Do you remember that feeling as a kid when the school bell rang, indicating the conclusion of science and the start of the best part of the day: recess? There clearly was an enormous sense of independence bounding out onto the playground, leaving behind the pressure of school work for a short period of unstructured play.
Unfortunately, for most elder adults, it is just a happy but distant memory. Yet is it possible, and also advantageous, to recapture the happiness of playing? Experts like Dr. Stuart Brown, founder of the National Institute for Play, answer with a resounding YES. As he notes, “Play is something done for its own sake. It’s voluntary, it’s pleasurable, it offers a sense of engagement, it takes you out of time. And the act itself is more important than the outcome.”
The primary advantages of play, regardless of a person’s age, include:
- To be connected: Especially in our smartphone-driven culture today, taking time to build relationships with others in person is paramount to our social health – whether through sports, card clubs, weekly board game competitions, or any other shared pastimes and interests.
- To sharpen the mind: While the jury is still out on the success of memory games in reducing the likelihood of developing Alzheimer’s disease, there is benefit to be gained in improving reasoning and problem-solving abilities.
- To strengthen relationships: The everyday tension inherent in many of our relationships is eased whenever a sense of playfulness is included, prompting stronger bonds as well as the capacity to better overcome difficulties if they arise.
Carving time out from a busy schedule to simply play can appear unlikely. Yet with some assistance from Continuum, the elder care St. Louis, MO experts, a more enjoyable lifestyle can certainly become a reality. We are available for as much or as little help as required, offering a wide range of St. Louis home care services for senior loved ones, such as:
- Planning and preparing meals
- Food shopping, picking up prescriptions, and other errands
- Light housework and laundry
- Personal care assistance such as aiding with bathing and dressing
- Transportation and accompaniment to doctor appointments and fun outings
- Companionship to engage in discussions, reminiscing, exercising, games, and pleasurable hobbies
- Bill pay services
- And so much more
Obtain a healthier life balance by allowing the best senior care St. Louis has to offer us to assist you and your loved ones, while you take a breather. Contact Continuum now to find out more!