April 6, 2017
Has your mantra lately been, “If only there were a few more hours in the day!” If you are a member of the “sandwich generation” – taking care of your parents and your children at the same time – getting pulled in many directions is often an everyday occurrence, and can quickly become overwhelming. Continuum invites you to take just a few minutes of your time to review these potentially sanity-saving caregiver tips.
- Use strategy when planning tasks. Develop a plan for regular activities to maximize efficiency. For example, map out all of your stops to plan needed stops in the most efficient way, and combine duties such as laundry washing and shopping for groceries for your senior loved one with your own.
- Keep the car stocked with supplies. Put a box of practical items in the trunk to have easily accessible at all times: comfy walking sneakers, a fleece or sweater, toiletries, snack foods with a long shelf life – all that you feel might be useful for the particular circumstances you could find yourself in on any given day.
- Don’t go to urgent care facilities if you can help it. Urgent care visits can lead to numerous hours of lost time spent in the waiting room. Try contacting the doctor instead to get a same-day appointment, particularly mid-morning, when the day’s cancelled appointments have not yet been filled.
- Keep paperwork organized. Keep all important paperwork bundled together in an easily identifiable folder. This will be essential in the case of an emergency. Documents to include in the folder: power of attorney, advance directive, health care proxy, medical insurance information, list of medications and emergency contacts.
- Keep a positive outlook. Taking a few quiet moments first thing in the morning to reflect on the things you’re thankful for could go a considerable way towards reducing stress and setting the stage for a more productive and positive day. Repeat as time permits throughout the day, particularly when feelings are running high.
The most effective tip we can suggest is partnering with a professional in-home care agency, like Continuum of St. Louis. We can help in more ways than you may realize, including running errands, shopping for groceries and meal preparation, light housework, and more, in addition to hands-on personalized care and companionship. Contact us at (314) 863-9912 or (636) 861-3336 for more caregiver tips and assistance, and rediscover a stress-reduced life for both yourself and your senior loved one!