January 9, 2017
“I am looking forward to moving to a nursing home facility.” This isn’t a phrase you hear often from seniors. That is because most seniors would prefer to age comfortably at home. However, there are plenty of misunderstandings about who pays for in home care. Will it be covered by Medicare or Medicaid or insurance? Most likely, CPA Jerry Lewis notes, in home care clients typically pay with private funds. Though Medicare does cover home health care on a limited basis, if it’s considered to be medically necessary, it does not cover homemaker services – and, most health insurance and Medicare supplemental plans don’t cover any sort of in-home care.
According to Rod Perkins, VP of insurance regulation of the American Council of Life Insurers, “Baby boomers have seen their parents have long-term care needs and weren’t prepared. And it’s not just an old-age product. You could need in-home care as a result of an accident.”
If you and your elderly friends and family are not prepared to pay out of pocket for home care, however, rest assured that there are a few more paths to explore; for example:
- Veterans’ aid (click here to check eligibility requirements)
- PACE (Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly)
- Long-term care insurance policies that particularly include in-home care services
- Reverse mortgages
- Organizations tailored to assist with particular needs, such as the Alzheimer’s Association, the ALS Association, and Easter Seals, may supply respite care vouchers
- Community support, such as through religious organizations, the local Area on Aging, the United Way and area senior centers
The Benefits.gov site is also a great resource to determine what federal benefits you may be eligible for. And, get in touch with Continuum of St. Louis by calling 314-863-9912 for more resources and help with ensuring that no stone is left unturned with regards to providing in home care for your precious senior loved ones. We’re skilled at checking out every possible avenue to locate any benefits for which senior loved ones qualify. We will help make professional in-home care services an actuality for you!