How would you like audiences to not only pay more attention to what you have to say, but also remember it more? By using appropriate humor to set up and reinforce key points, you can do just that. In this upbeat program you will learn how to harness the power of humor to increase your likeability and make deeper connections with your clients, colleagues, and prospects. Not only will you enjoy making presentations, your audiences will appreciate the fact that you took extra steps to make your material interesting. These techniques will also help you deliver boring material with flair while maintaining your professionalism and credibility.
Attendees will discover how to:
- Discover the physiological and sociological benefits to approaching business and life with more levity.
- Maintain a positive atmosphere in your workplace
- Provide effective communication by engaging your audience (staff, clients, and families) with humor
- Recognize when and how humor can be used to improve your connections with others
- Invigorate “dry” material to make it more palatable, thereby improving your presentations and public relations
Instructor Qualifications: Steve Hughes is the President of Hit Your Stride, LLC, a communications consultancy that helps people look and sound smart when they talk. His seminars have been featured on NPR and BBC Radio, and he is the author of the upcoming book Better Faster Speaker (Waterfield Press). Today he works with a host of blue-chip clients including: MetLife, Boeing, Nestle Purina, American Marketing Association, and six state bar associations. Prior to launching Hit Your Stride, Steve spent 12 years in advertising and public relations—most recently he was a co-owner at a 40-person advertising agency in St. Louis. Steve holds BA in French Literature and European History from the University of Kansas and an MBA in Marketing from Washington University, where he was awarded the Olin Cup.
- This course has been approved to provide one Continuing Education Credit (CEU) to Social Workers and/or Physical Therapists in the state of Missouri
- You will need approximately 1 hour to complete this training
- Progress cannot be saved; you will need to complete the training in one sitting
- You will be tested after completing the training session
The following are the test questions you will be asked at the end of the training. You will need to answer all questions in order to be awarded CEU credit.
- The Levity Effect: Managers and CEOs who use humor tend to have more ______ employees/co-workers.
- Humor is a giant __________________ that allows us to laugh about things no one wants to talk about.
- You can use humor to reset an audience’s attention span clock every 6 to 8 minutes. In this way you will make people ______________ and make yourself ________.
- Humor is just a ____ way of looking at _____ things.