In today’s 24/7 business climate it’s more important than ever to make immediate, positive impressions on the people you meet. Once established, these strong first impressions become your building blocks to an ever-expanding network of new business and referrals. This unique class combines the latest business and sociological studies with real-world, practical insights that your team can apply right away. In fact, many of the concepts taught in this program run counter to the fads of the day, but all are grounded in solid research and proven results.
Social work theories are used in everyone’s daily interactions, but they are rarely identified. This seminar puts these theories into layman’s terms in order to improve impressions and communication.
Attendees will discover how to:
- Build rapport via the secrets of connecting with others that certain people do naturally
- Discover the simple, yet overlooked things you can do to improve the way people perceive you.
- Learn how to interpret body language and other non-verbal cues
- Connecting to your audience (client, family, business) by understanding their culture
Instructor Qualifications: Steve Hughes is the President of Hit Your Stride, LLC, a communications consultancy that helps people look and sound smart when they talk. His seminars have been featured on NPR and BBC Radio, and he is the author of the upcoming book Better Faster Speaker (Waterfield Press). Today he works with a host of blue-chip clients including: MetLife, Boeing, Nestle Purina, American Marketing Association, and six state bar associations. Prior to launching Hit Your Stride, Steve spent 12 years in advertising and public relations—most recently he was a co-owner at a 40-person advertising agency in St. Louis. Steve holds BA in French Literature and European History from the University of Kansas and an MBA in Marketing from Washington University, where he was awarded the Olin Cup.
- This course has been approved to provide one Continuing Education Credit (CEU) to Social Workers and/or Physical Therapists in the state of Missouri
- You will need approximately 1 hour to complete this training
- Progress cannot be saved; you will need to complete the training in one sitting
- You will be tested after completing the training session
The following are the test questions you will be asked at the end of the training. You will need to answer all questions in order to be awarded CEU credit.
- How do people make a good first impression? Keep the focus on __________________.
- How do people make a bad first impression? Even if the topic is on something else, they will turn the conversation _______________________.
- The quickest way to get what you want in a first encounter is to ____________________________. This is called reciprocity.
- Five social gifts you can give people: People want to be __________, __________, __________, __________, and __________.
- On the phone, stand up and use gestures! Smile. Talk to them as if ___________________.